You must have been wondering why after 3 releases in quick succession, no new version of VEDICS was released. This is because we have been re-writing most part of the code in python. This move from C to python was done so that the new version VEDICS is compatible with GNOME 3. From next release onwards, we would make regular releases of VEDICS.
After 9 months of re-coding and refactoring work, VEDICS-beta-0.4 is finally here.
Some of the key features of this release are:
- Compatibility: VEDICS is now compatible with Old Gnome (2.xx), Unity interface of Ubuntu as well as GNOME 3. (The dash and the launcher of GNOME 3 and Unity are still not accessible through VEDICS. But we have provided a new feature, as explained in the next point, that would serve as a temporary alternative to the dash and the launcher).
- Run any application installed in the system (Launcher): This is an entirely new feature that we have introduced as part of the new VEDICS. User can start any application installed in the system by saying “run” followed by the full name of the application (This acts as an alternative to the launcher).
- Show names of all applications installed in the system (The Dash): The user can see the full names of all the applications installed in the system by saying the command “Show all applications”. This can then be used to invoke any application installed in the system (This acts as an alternative to the dash).
- New UI: VEDICS now uses notifications to tell users what command was recognized.
- Bug fixes: The complete re-writing of the code to python revealed some bugs in the code which have now been fixed.
- Default Applications not supported: Since the user can now run any application installed in the system, we no longer support running default applications in VEDICS-beta-0.4.
Again, I would like to thank all those who reported bugs in VEDICS-beta-0.3. This is very important for all of us, since this would help us improve VEDICS with each release. I would also like to thank everyone who downloaded and tried VEDICS.
VEDICS-beta-0.4 can be downloaded from the Files section in the sourceforge page. Any suggestion/feedback is highly appreciated.